Did you know May was National Grilled Cheese Month? In honor of this pivotal holiday (yes, to us -- it's a holiday!), Virginia Chutney Company held a Grilled Cheese & Chutney competition on its Facebook page. Contestants were required to submit an original concoction for a Grilled Cheese & Chutney sandwich, a complete recipe, and a photo.
Congratulations to the winner, Catherine Marshall Sharp, for her unique submission! Read below for her recipe.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- One 10 oz. container of garlic hummus
- One fresh lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 cup hot peach chutney
- One 12 oz. package of frozen buttermilk pancakes (thawed to room temperature )
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley (stems removed)
- 12 oz. of Gruyere cheese
- 12 oz. room temperature double cream Brie
- 3/4 lb. of shaved smoked turkey breast
1. Stir olive oil, one teaspoon of fresh lime zest, 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, black pepper and curry powder into hummus and set aside for later.
2. Spread a layer of Brie on one side of six of the pancakes and place four or five parsley leaves on each.
3. Spread hot peach chutney on one side of the other six pancakes and top with Gruyere and smoked turkey.
4. Put the Brie pancakes on top of the turkey covered ones to form a sandwich.
5. Griddle the sandwiches in a buttered non-stick pan on medium heat util each side is golden and cheese is melted. This happens much more quickly than with dense bread - keep checking to be sure they don't burn.
6. Serve with the hummus as a dipping sauce on the side